Saturday, June 18, 2011

I'm moving to Columbus Ohio. Can anyone tell me about the city?


I'm moving to Columbus Ohio. Can anyone tell me about the city?
I have kids, ages 2 1/2 and 8 weeks, so I need to know about children's activities. I also don't have a place to live yet, we're staying with family until we find a place, so I need to know what are good neighborhoods with relatively cheap places to rent. Anyone who knows of any job openings could let me know. I have a B.S. in psychology and my boyfriend only has a high school diploma. If any of you have kids, please let me know what the school systems are like and where some good preschools/day care centers are located so I can check them out. We are moving from a small town in Kentucky that has no opportunities for either of us and terrible school systems. I'm very stressed, so please help!
Other - US Local Businesses - 6 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I have only been to Columbus a few times, but it seems like a great city.


2
i've been there couple of times and its a great city! i think you will like it!


3
COSI and the Columbus Zoo are both fabulous family places to go any time of year. The French market is great too. My sister and her family lived in Columbus for a few years and loved it. If you're not already, get ready to be a Buckeyes fan, they live and breathe it there. The Ohio State University is affiliated with one of the hospital systems there so it's a teaching hospital, if you are looking to go further with your degree, consider applying there. I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you about housing, it's such a different city. Very expensive houses surrounded by college students. Look around and see where you feel comfortable. There are so many options. It's big and loud, but very friendly.


4
The Dublin ( north side) and Easton ( East of course) suburbs are superb as far as amenities and the people who live in the area. If you like historic, try Germantown, an area just south of the city center that has many beautifully restored old buildings and a well kept neighborhood. All of the above are the stand outs, but as far as cheap goes, it's pretty much scatter shot all across the city, and like any city Columbus does have it's seedy areas. Don't worry, the decent ones aren't hard to find. When you move there, try a couple of places on Vine St. just North of the City's center...The North Market, which is a great place to pick up things like gourmet cheeses, bread and other great food...and This Thai reaturant on the same street called Thai-Phoon, it's nice inside and the food is above average.


5
my wife and i lived in columbus for a little over 5 yrs..couldnt wait to leave..very busy city..very overly populated unless you live on the outskirts..their are some nice (??) places..mostly appartments..all require refernces and a nifty security deposit..we lived off morris ave. not to far from rt 71...like i said..it can be a rough place to live...there is a day school/child preschool almost within walking distance from those apartments...also up morris ave. are various grocery stores and a wall-mart...tons of restaraunts..pro hockey...osu sports..which pretty much owns that city...oberlin college...catholic schools not to far from were we lived..also some storage buildings...i think (???) they were the ''carlton apts'''...good luck...i can think of better cities to live in...rt 271 goes totaly around the outskirts of the city...lots of buisnesses..just take your time and shop around ...NOT downtown...enjoy...beam me up buckeyes


6
I live just outside of Columbus. I don't suggest moving actually into Columbus. It is very busy with the airport, OSU, theaters, COSI, the Blue Jackets (Hockey), the Clippers (baseball) and everything else downtown. I moved here from a small town and love it!! Being in the suburbs puts you close to many activities but far enough away to avoid the major conjestions of the city. Some of the better school districts are Dublin, Powell, New Albany, Pickerington, but you'll pay higher living costs in these areas. If you have children though, it's worth it for their education. Some other areas are Reynoldsburg, , Lancaster, Pataskala, Grove City, Canal Winchester. There are many daycare centers Rainbow Station is the only on I can think of off the top of my head. The YMCA also offers child care and I know they have a scholarship program for families with lower income. There are jobs everywhere, but it may take a little bit to find something in your field. You can always find something in the meantime. There are retail stores adn malls everywhere, along with many distribution centers (GAP, Limited, Too Inc, Victoria's Secret, Eddie Bauer, etc.). As I said, I love living here, there are so many opportunities for my daughter here that there wouldn't be in a smaller town. But the suburbs are the way to go. I read the previous replies, outerbelt Route 270 runs all the way around Columbus, it makes for easier commute to wherever, but I would suggest living outside of the outerbelt, versus inside. Check out the foolowing link for apartments; http://www.forrent.com/ . I think it'll also give you a link to check out he school systems. Good Luck and I do hope you're ready to be a Buckeye Fan, it comes with teh territory.

Popular Posts