Friday, June 10, 2011

Columbus Ohio...info about the area


Columbus Ohio...info about the area?
I graduate in May with a bachelors in health studies. I plan on moving to or near Columbus Ohio shortly after to attend nursing school to become an RN. But the thing is that Im a single parent with 2 kids so obviously I have to work while I attend nursing school. So my question is what is the cost of living like in the Columbus area? Like the prices of apartments? Safe areas to live, decent schools and daycares? And the abundance of jobs in the area? Oh and I plan to do some of my degree online but OBVIOUSLY I have to do my clinicals and hands on training in Columbus, so areas around Columbus to live would be nice to know as well. Thanks! LOL...I actually live in Michigan. Born and raised here so of course the weather is not a problem to me, if your from the north the weather doesnt even phase you...
Other - United States - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Congratulations on your future graduation! I wish you the best for you and your family. You may want to do more research on the area you plan to move to. Unless you have other advantages/reasons for moving to Columbus, such as family, etc., you may be better off in the long run to move to another city in the US to cointinue your studies. Columbus, Ohio, and the Midwest region of the country in general, have been facing major and continuing job losses, and while nursing may be a relatively stable career, you may want to consider moving to a city that has a more diverse economy, and therefore, a lower overall unemployment rate, and future job growth and expansion. Ohio has lost population for decades, and they have recently been among the highest states in rates of foreclosure. There is more to Columbus than a job: it's weather can be depressing during the winter, with gray skies and freezing temperatures daily, and once it snows, the snow generally lingers for two months or more. You will learn the true meaning of "cabin fever" if you live in Columbus for any length of time. While I enjoyed many things about living in the Columbus area, I was a native of the South, and I dont know if that is why I never felt welcome there. The culture is different, less friendly (I gave it 10 years!) than in the South, although I must say that in Cincinnati, the culture is a bit more southern. I loved the history of Ohio, and explored many places while there. Traditions in Columbus include THE Ohio State University and the Buckeyes, and wearing Scarlet and Gray is an unspoken requirement if you ever want to have a chance of being accepted. Buckeye football is a topic of discussion 24/7/365. To answer some of your questions: So my question is what is the cost of living like in the Columbus area? Like the prices of apartments? It depends on what part of the city you live. I paid ranges from $550. to 650 the last year I lived there (2007). http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/QTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US39&-qr_name=DEC_2000_SF3_U_DP4&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF3_U&-redoLog=false Safe areas to live, decent schools and daycares? The northern suburbs have good school districts, but are also more expensive to live in. Dublin, Delaware, Westerville. Upper Arlington is more expensive. And the abundance of jobs in the area? Daily news reports of another company closing, jobs being lost, etc., was very depressing, (along with the weather), and was a major determinant in my decision to relocate. Michigan ("That State Up North"), has lost many jobs, and consider that Ohio's employment rate may be affected by the influx of Michiganers coming to look for work in OH. Overall, I loved the years that I lived in Ohio, and while it didnt work out exactly as I would have liked, I learned so much and am grateful for having had the opportunity and experience. I learned how to pack up and move and relocate to any other place, and make a life in a new place, among other things. If you are looking to settle in and stay for the rest of your life, another city that has a more promising future, stable economy, etc., would be a better choice in the long run. Some links you may want to use for research: US Census Bureau - Ohio information: http://www.census.gov/census2000/states/oh.html Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services: http://jfs.ohio.gov/releases/ The Columbus Dispatch newspaper: http://dispatch.com/live/content/index.html Other links: http://www-agecon.ag.ohio-state.edu/programs/exurbs/growthandchange/statestory.htm http://ohio.sierraclub.org/sprawl/downcount.pdf

Popular Posts